Preparing your boat for a storm can be an overwhelming task, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are some helpful tips from us at Parr Insurance Services to make sure your boat is safe and ready for any potential storms here in the Lynchburg, VA area, or anywhere you happen to be:
Tips to prepare your boat for a storm
1. Secure all loose items on board the boat. Make sure all removable items like furniture, tackle boxes, and coolers are secured and stored away. Double-check that anything that could potentially become a projectile during the storm is either removed or locked down properly.
2. Check the bilge pumps and flotation devices to ensure they are working properly and functioning correctly. Test these things before you leave the dock in case of emergencies during the storm.
3. Anchor your vessel if possible. A good anchor can prevent damage from wind gusts or high waves created by the storm. Be sure to check your anchor lines as they may need to be adjusted with every change in tide or wave height.
4. Disconnect any electronics from power sources when not in use and make sure cords are not exposed to water or possible lightning strikes during the storm. Unplugging non-essential electronics can help protect your valuable equipment from power surges caused by weather events like thunderstorms or high winds.
5. Invest in waterproof covers for all onboard items that aren’t being used during the stormy weather, such as cushions, mattresses, sails, etc., which can easily get damaged from water exposure and weather conditions if unprotected.
Give Us A Call
For more safe boating tips, or if you have any questions about your boat insurance policy, give us at Parr Insurance Services a call today. We are proud to serve the Lynchburg, VA area.